3/24/14

Stop Fighting For Your Limits

I never particularly liked Owen Wilson or Vince Vaughn until they made the movie The Internship in 2013. When the movie came out on video, I bought it. 

I love the movie, not so much for the actors, but because of the message. It places the emphasis on PEOPLE in a technology reliant world. 

My favorite line from the movie was delivered by Vince Vaughn. He was trying to convince a small shop owner to expand his business by using technology. The owner was hesitant and then Vince's character said it:


"If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them"


BRILLIANT!

Let me explain why this line resonated with me and how it can change your life too.

Recently, a professional acquaintance asked me if I would do some sort of presentation/workshop for his staff. The business owner in me wanted to jump at the chance to do business. He didn't ask me to volunteer. He actually said, "I want to hire you." 

GREAT! 

As I began to dig into what he wanted, I began to feel like it wasn't something for me. 

There is nothing on my website that says I do what he asked, but because he asked, I was going to try to make it work. I tried to make it work. I chased him down and reminded him to get back to me.

I basically went out of my way to try to get hired to do a project that deep down I didn't want to do.

I was fighting for my limitation and was determined to win the battle. To do that project wasn't wrong, nor was it outside of my capabilities. It was just outside of my passion and area of focus. Doing that project would undermine all the progress that I have made lately to streamline my business. I want to only offer specific solutions. I don't want to be a jack of all trades. I want to be a master of one.

If I am going to fight for something...it wasn't going to be a limitation. I am going to fight for the freedom to pursue my dreams.

Your turn. How does this apply to you? Let me ask you a poignant question:


Are you fighting tooth and nail to prove that you can do something that deep down, you don't want to do?

Why?

For me...it was because I didn't want to turn down business; even if the job would be doing something I didn't enjoy.

For you...it could be a way to save face; or because you think you have to be the token successful representative of your group. 

Are you a minority who feels like you need to work twice as hard only to be perceived as half as good? Are you so bent on proving "them wrong" that you are carelessly wasting your time and effort on impressing people you don't even like?

Maybe you just have been fighting to keep your limitations for so long that you don't know how to stop fighting?

"If you fight for your limitations, you get to keep them"



No one is going to stop you from limiting yourself. If you want to fight tooth and nail for mediocrity, then mediocrity will be your reward. Enjoy.

But why not parlay your time, energy, and commitment to pursuits that advance your future?

Imagine how dangerous (in a good way) you can be if you channeled your effort into breaking out the box, not staying in it!

Instead of wasting your energy trying to kick down the door, go build another structure that will allow you instant access!

Today can be the last day, you spin your wheels and put all of your energy into something you don't like, want, or need.

I can help you set up a plan that will guide you to your freedom! Imagine what that will feel like! 

Contact me today for a free consultation on how you can begin living your dreams...not your limits!




1 comment: