10/21/13

I Want To Be A Light Bulb


"It is not about shining so others can see you, it is about shining so others can see their beauty through you."  ~Shawne Duperon

I came across this quote on Facebook recently and fell in love. On a day when I was really examining what it will mean to take my business to the next level, I felt like my problem was that I was focusing too much on my shortcomings and flaws.

Have you ever felt like you don't have enough ____(fill in the blank)___ to help someone else? Talent? Resource? Life experience? Credentials?

In all honesty, I am a little afraid of the next level. With that level comes a certain amount of exposure that I am not sure I want. 

Understand, I want to help others. I have a heart for it and I am good at it. That isn't the issue.

My issue is one of misplaced focus. Duperon's quote helped me shift my thinking...a practice I help my clients do all the time. 



I want to be a light bulb


I want to be a light bulb. Think about a light bulb. The point of a light bulb is to provide light. Light bulbs make it bright enough for others to see. The light in a light bulb doesn't benefit the light bulb. 

That is what I do in my communications work. I shed light on the issues, emotions, beliefs, and assumptions that are keeping you from experiencing deep meaningful connection with people. 

I am not taking my business to the next level because it is about me shining. It is about you! I need to take my business to the next level because I have the responsibility to help you realize your potential for life transforming communication.


The goal of my work is to make it bright enough for you to see the beauty that you possess.

I am not like the State Farm commercial. You can't sing a jingle and I show up to say what needs to be said. I don't communicate on behalf of my clients.

I give my clients the knowledge, support, and courage needed to say it on their own. You are doing the work. I just give you a road map.

With this I can confidently go forward.

You can be a light bulb too. By learning and praticing good communication skills, you can make it bright enough for the world to see the beauty that is in it. Will you take up the charge?


What insight does this quote illuminate for you?


It is not about shining so others can see you, it is about shining so others can see their beauty through you"  ~Shawne Duperon

Leave your comment here


photo credit: B Tal via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment