1/15/14

What Is Unique About Your Brand of Leadership?


I took on a challenge at the beginning of the year. On Day 2 of the #Blog4Biz challenge, I had to do some research on USP. No, not UPS the shipping company.  USP is a marketing term that means “unique selling proposition”. In short, a USP is what makes a business, product, or service stand out from the crowd. 
photo credit: photosteve101 via photopin cc

Every leader needs to have a personal “unique selling proposition”...a unique selling proposition that highlights what makes you different from all the other fish (or leaders) in the sea. 

Perhaps, you are applying for a new role. In other words, what is unique about your brand of leadership?

Let’s look at my business as an example for a second. BRAVE Communication is an executive coaching consultancy. Big deal! There are tons of executive coaches out there. 


What makes BRAVE different from other executive coaching firms?




  • I focus only on interpersonal communication skill coaching as it relates to leading others. 
  • I serve aspiring, new, reluctant, women, mid-level, and senior level leaders
  • I combine my knowledge and skill as a communication skills trainer and, college instructor, with coaching technique to move clients from sinking, to soaring.
These are the unique factors one can expect when working with BRAVE. 


What is unique about working with or for you?

Why does this matter?

My USP statements help potential clients find me, and also serves as a guidepost for the types of assignments I accept. It prevents me from saying yes to assignments that are good...just not good for me.

I read a post by Ryan Bonaparte several weeks ago that really honed in why we need to be selective. In his piece, Ryan made a simple assertion: when we say yes we are also saying no. Saying no is essential to finding your success.

The concept is simple. In order to be successful, we have to get specific. We can’t be all things to all people.

Three Reasons Leaders Need A Unique Selling Proposition:

1. Focus

So many leaders struggle with trying to find their identity as a leader. They want to be all things to every one. They want to be a giant hybrid of every good leader they've ever heard of. It is impossible. You have to be the best YOU and believe that is good enough.

When I first started BRAVE, I wanted to be a communication skills trainer to anyone, I wanted to be a keynote speaker to any organization, and I wanted to be a coach to everyone. My heart was in the right place. I truly believe we need to know how to respectfully communicate with everyone, but “everyone” is too broad a target market. 

I needed to focus. I had a hard time focusing because I still love to train and speak. By saying no to things that are good, I have been much more successful.

Leaders have to make similar distinctions. You may not have to say no forever. Just say no right now.

2. Clarity

You have to determine what makes you different from all the other leaders. What is your signature? This isn’t an exercise in tearing someone else down in order to build yourself up. No! It is an exercise in clearly defining your “what" and your "why". 

I focus on coaching because it allows me to teach the skills I've trained leaders in for years AND coach them in their own real life situations. I don't just have text book knowledge of adult learning theory, communication styles, and coaching techniques. I have practical experience. I combine all of it for a unique coaching experience that my clients love and see maximum benefit. So when I am meeting with a potential client, I am very clear about what I can and cannot do. 

Are you clear about how you can do your job with excellence and still be true to your values? That doesn't happen by chance. 

3. Purpose

People don’t leave jobs, they leave bosses—bosses, supervisors, leaders, managers. 

What kind of leader do you want to be? And why?

An indecisive leader? 
A narcissistic leader? 
A hard, cold, nothing is ever good enough leader? 
A I want every one to like me leader?

Or

A confident, assured leader with clear vision, uncanny insight, and outstanding people skills?

A leader whose employees turn down job offers from other companies that pay more money because they value the way you push, challenge, believe in, and grow them?

Leaders have to treat the people they lead as people…not pawns, scapegoats, verbal punching bags, pests, annoyances, or incompetent individuals. 

Good communication skill is a hallmark of great leadership. It is not an after thought. I believe in leaders who can see the hidden gem in themselves  and their people. Who are BRAVE enough and skilled enough to unearth it. That is my purpose and passion. 

What's yours?

This article is about developing a USP for business. Read it. It will be fun to make the connections to leadership.

In the meantime, begin constructing a simple USP for yourself. Start by answering this question:


What unique experience will people gain from working for you? 


If you want to join the #Blog4Biz challenge, visit http://fleurmanagement.com/hireshai/blog4biz-day-1-2/






No comments:

Post a Comment