Here is a recap of the topics this month:
What listening is
Myths about listening
How to listen with your body
How listening is a way of showing respect
How poor listening could affect your health
Offered a listening quiz
Showed you how to use technology to listen
How to listen in 4 easy steps
To end our month long intensive, I wanted to share 30 quotes on listening that I love. One for each day of the month. CEOs, TV personalities, doctors, professors, researchers, and many others have seen the value of listening and commented on it. My favorites are 3, 8, 9, 19, 20, and 30 but I love them all for the different perspectives they give.
Which one is your favorite? Share in the comments
1. "Man's inability to communicate is a result of his failure to listen effectively."
~Carl Rogers [Tweet]
2. "Many a man would rather you heard his story than granted his request."
~Phillip Stanhope,Earl of Chesterfield [Tweet]
3. "You have to be willing sometimes to listen to some remarkable bad opinions. Because if you say to someone, 'That's the silliest thing I've ever heard; get on out of here!'—then you'll never get anything out of that person again, and you might as well have a puppet on a string or a robot."
4. "The most basic of all human needs is the need to understand and be understood. The best way to understand people is to listen to them."
5. "Effective listeners remember that "words have no meaning - people have meaning." The assignment of meaning to a term is an internal process; meaning comes from inside us. And although our experiences, knowledge and attitudes differ, we often misinterpret each other’s messages while under the illusion that a common understanding has been achieved."
6. "Just because I didn’t do what you told me, doesn’t mean I wasn’t listening to you!"
~Hank Ketcham [Tweet]
7. "One friend, one person who is truly understanding, who takes the trouble to listen to us as we consider a problem, can change our whole outlook on the world."
~Dr. E. H. Mayo
8. "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
~Winston Churchill [Tweet]
9. "Big egos have little ears." ~Robert Schuller [Tweet]
10. "The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer."
~Henry David Thoreau [Tweet]
11. "To be listened to is, generally speaking, a nearly unique experience for most people. It is enormously stimulating. It is small wonder that people who have been demanding all their lives to be heard so often fall speechless when confronted with one who gravely agrees to lend an ear. Man clamors for the freedom to express himself and for knowing that he counts. But once offered these conditions, he becomes frightened."
~Robert C. Murphy
12. "A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he gets to know something."
13."Listening, not imitation, may be the sincerest form of flattery."
~Dr Joyce Brothers [Tweet]
14."Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when you'd have preferred to talk."
~D.J. Kaufman [Tweet]
15. "An essential part of true listening is the discipline of bracketing, the temporary giving up or setting aside of one's own prejudices, frames of reference and desires so as to experience as far as possible the speaker's world from the inside, step in inside his or her shoes. This unification of speaker and listener is actually and extension and enlargement of ourselves, and new knowledge is always gained from this. Moreover, since true listening involves bracketing, a setting aside of the self, it also temporarily involves a total acceptance of the other. Sensing this acceptance, the speaker will fell less and less vulnerable and more and more inclined to open up the inner recesses of his or her mind to the listener. As this happens, speaker and listener begin to appreciate each other more and more, and the duet dance of love is begun again."
~M. Scott Peck, MD
16. "Listening is a magnetic and strange thing, a creative force. The friends who listen to us are the ones we move toward. When we are listened to, it creates us, makes us unfold and expand."
17. "There are people who, instead of listening to what is being said to them, are already listening to what they are going to say themselves."
18. "No man ever listened himself out of a job."
19. "To say that a person feels listened to means a lot more than just their ideas get heard. It's a sign of respect. It makes people feel valued."
~Deborah Tannen Author and Professor of Linguistics, Georgetown University
20. I only wish I could find an institute that teaches people how to listen. Business people need to listen at least as much as they need to talk. Too many people fail to realize that real communication goes in both directions."
~Lee Iacocca, Former CEO Chrysler Corporation
21. "I think the one lesson I have learned is that there is no substitute for paying attention."
~Diane Sawyer, ABC Television Anchor [Tweet]
22. "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
~Stephen R. Covey,7 Habits of Highly Effective People [Tweet]
23. "Just being available and attentive is a great way to use listening as a management tool. Some employees will come in, talk for twenty minutes, and leave having solved their problems entirely by themselves."
~Nicholas V. Luppa
24. "I would say that listening to the other person's emotions may be the most important thing I've learned in twenty years of business."
~Heath Herber, Herber Company
25. "Of all the skills of leadership, listening is the most valuable—and one of the least understood. Most captains of industry listen only sometimes, and they remain ordinary leaders. But a few, the great ones, never stop listening. That's how they get word before anyone else of unseen problems and opportunities."
~Peter Nulty, National Business Hall of Fame Fortune Magazine
26. "A good listener tries to understand what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but because he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with."
~Kenneth A. Wells
27. "I remind myself every morning: Nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I'm going to learn, I must do it by listening."
28. "Who speaks, sows; Who listens, reaps."
~Argentine Proverb [Tweet]
29. "You learn when you listen. You earn when you listen—not just money, but respect."
~Harvey Mackay [Tweet]
30. "To learn through listening, practice it naively and actively. Naively means that you listen openly, ready to learn something, as opposed to listening defensively, ready to rebut. Listening actively means you acknowledge what you heard and act accordingly."
~Betsy Sanders,Former Senior Vice President & General Manager Nordstrom