7/8/13

Good Communication Skill Is Like Your Favorite Pen: #Blog4Biz Day 8

#Blog4Biz Day 8: What is your favorite office supply

Office supplies are a "staple" (get it??!?!) in any business. These are the supplies you rely on all the time. Most of the time you don't even know how much you rely on them until they are missing. If you ever had a favorite stapler, pen, or pack of post it notes, you might realize how their mere existence brings a calm over you. 

Today's challenge is for me to talk about the office supplies I can't live without. One of my best friends is a self-proclaimed office supply junkie. The best present I ever gave her was a gift card to an office supply store. I racked up major friendship brownie points and she got to feed her fetish. 

The office supply that is a cornerstone to my business is printer ink.
I print a lot of things because I need to see how it looks. My training booklets look great electronically but when I customize the participant booklets I need to "see" what it will look like to my customer.

All of my mailing correspondences, announcements, event flyers, etc. have to be printed before I distribute or mass produce them. This allows me to check for errors, spacing, and other visually appealing things. 

I rely on my printer ink. It is my behind the scenes friend that gives me the confidence to be innovative. I have learned how to get just about every ounce of ink from my cartridges before I will break down and buy a new one. Shaking, banging, cleaning the brush head, and even small toothbrush have all aided me in extending the life of my cartridges.

When I load a new cartridge, the sky is the limit. I feel bolder. I feel like whatever I create will be supported. I know I am going to see good results. I have free reign in all my tasks because I know my support system is fully stocked and ready to go. No limits, just open road. Having the right tools makes doing business not only easier but also fun.

Did you know having good interpersonal communication skills produces the same effect?

Interpersonal communication skill is the process by which people exchange messages. It is simple in nature. Good communications skills work so effortlessly that you only notice when you they are missing. They are foundation skills that are needed in EVERY industry sector.

A couple of resources that help break down the components of communication skills can be found here and here 

In the absence of healthy communication tools we will improvise. Like when our favorite office supply runs out, shaking the cartridge will disperse the ink temporarily. I might be able to print one page but that won't suffice in the long run. Likewise, when we are in communication conflict, we may come up with a temporary fix to get through the immediate situation.

Two of the most common temporary fixes are:
  • Avoidance. We try to avoid contact with that person all together. Instead of going to buy a new printer cartridge, I will go out of my way to NOT print something. Like me, you find all the excuses not to interact with the person you are in conflict with. You get super busy all of a sudden on other activities.
  • Ignoring. We tell our selves to take the "high road" or be the "bigger person" as a way of justifying not dealing head on. We say we "don't have time for all that". We grin and bear. Or we find other venues to release our frustrations...stiff drink, a social media rant, or gossip.
The problem with these temporary fixes is just that...they are temporary. The fact still remains, your proverbial printer ink is low and needs to be replaced. And let's face it, these temporary fixes require energy to create. You have to get creative to avoid the person you are in conflict with. And the energy it takes is a negative energy so it drains you instead of invigorating you.

When you download a new communication skill, the sky is the limit. You will feel bolder, calmer, and more control. You will feel like whatever situation you face can be faced with success. No limits, just open road. 

When you have your favorite office supply in stock and ready to go, you are positively energized. You can clearly see your choices. Likewise, when your interpersonal communication skills tool bag is fully stocked you have choices. You have positively energized to do what needs to be done. 

The Living BRAVE blog re-launches on Aug 1, 2013. During July, however, I accepted the #Blog4Biz daily business blogging challenge. The challenge is designed to help business owners focus on certain aspects of blogging that will expand their skill, boost creativity, and focus their message. Initially, I wasn't going to publicly share my posts, but as I started writing these posts, I saw the value in sharing...and some of this stuff is really good!  If you want to join the challenge, click here.



Word count: 690 (wow, i guess i carried away:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment