7/10/13

#Blog4Biz Day 10: Where I work it!

The Living BRAVE blog re-launches on Aug 1, 2013. During July, however, I accepted the #Blog4Biz daily business blogging challenge. The challenge is designed to help business owners focus on certain aspects of blogging that will expand their skill, boost creativity, and focus their message. Initially, I wasn't going to publicly share my posts, but as I started writing these posts, I saw the value in sharing...and some of this stuff is really good!  If you want to join the challenge, click here.

Day 10: I work in this?!?!.....(PHOTO CHALLENGE)


Growing up I never had an answer to “what do you want to be when you grow up”. I had no clue. But I did have a very specific image of what I wanted my office to look like. I knew I would have an office, power suit, and briefcase.
 I wanted it to look like a more colorful version of this. 

I figured if I am going to be working in this space, I want it to be a space that invited me to come in. I am not a neat person naturally. My best friend was a professional organizer and as much as she tried, my space kept ending up looking like this.

Old habits are hard to break but they can be broken. I am not as bad and the photo on the left but not nearly as neat my mom would like me to be.



                                                                        



This is my real desk! 

We just moved to a new area and our new place doesn't have an extra room for an office so I carved out a corner in the back of the living for a desk and chair. You will notice a few items. On the wall to the left is a 31 Hang Up Home Organizer. My best friend, Melissa Patrick is a 31 consultant selling organizational supplies (among other things). So I bought a few things from her to help. I keep my calendar in the Hang up home organizer. I am one of those people who needs to see appointments on a physical calendar to keep things straight. I have a magazine file folder in the background for storing mail, bills, etc. The latest issue of Money magazine is there. My earphones for when I need to listen to something during my kids' tv shows. And hidden right in the middle, with the red straw sticking out is my mini Sonic milkshake. We all need a little sweetness in our lives, right? A lamp for task lighting and a now discontinued 31 caddy for pens and pencils rounds out my space. When it is time to set appointments, look up stuff, send correspondences, schedule meetings, etc...I usually do it from this space. But rarely is any creative work done here.


This is my FAVORITE work space! 

My comfy chair, ottoman, side table and lamp. In this little corner of the world I do most of my writing. I pray and journal here just about everyday. The #Blog4Biz posts I have been the most satisfied with were composed right here. My best work to date has been produced with me sitting in this chair laptop open and raring to go. There is something about this little set up that makes me open and clear. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this chair. In it, not only can I think but I can actually hear. I mean really hear what's next. Thoughts flow out of me and dance all around me. Creativity, boldness, and dreams meet here harmoniously every time. Did I mention I love this chair?!? 

As I think back on the office I always imagined when I was a kid, I realized something. Though the decor might change, the way my work space makes me FEEL should never change. I want to always work in a place that rolls out the welcome mat to my creativity and invites her to come and make herself at home.

Word Count 476

No comments:

Post a Comment